Background Information – Job-specific
Based in Dakar, UNOPS Senegal Multi-Country Office (SNMCO) covers all of Francophone and Lusophone West Africa and the Maghreb countries (18 countries in all).
SNMCO has developed a strong working relationship with Governments and international development partners over the last decades. We support our partners in key development areas such as infrastructure rehabilitation and development; project management; capacity development and management services such as procurement and human resources.
Partnership Unit (PU)
The Partnerships unit (PU) has been established to expand our presence in the sub-region, grow SNMCO’s project and program portfolio and develop strategic partnerships for the region. The Partnerships Unit coordinates, supports and monitors the development of the portfolio.
The Unit reports directly to the SNMCO Director.
1. Duties and Responsibilities
The Partnerships and Communications intern will work in the Senegal Multi-Country Office based in Dakar, Senegal, and will report to the Partnerships Specialist and the Communications Senior Officer. He / She will support the Partnerships Unit by conducting research on donors and market trends, supporting the implementation of the Communications Plan in order to increase the visibility of UNOPS in the sub-region by communicating on our results and activities, and by providing administrative support to the development and finalization of project documents, including but not limited to project descriptions, budgets, legal accords, gender action plans and risk registers.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific tasks :
- Support the update of the SNMCO Communication Plan based on the organizational Communication Strategy and the Partnerships outreach strategy
- Support the preparation of external communication materials, including factsheets, articles, infographics, videos and other materials,customized for target key audiences such as donors, UN agencies, governments, foundations, NGOs, civil society and private sector for effective outreach among existing and potential partners
- Assist with social media content management and scheduling
- Develop contents, presentations, correspondence, briefings, talking points and all other external communication material
- Support ensuring that the achievements of the SNMCO’s outstanding projects are properly captured in the right communication formats for external and internal purposes
- Provide support to communications campaigns and events in terms of banners, leaflets, press releases, social media content and toolkits, etc.
- Support Partner Surveys and resulting action plans
- Any other Communications task to ensure the support to SNMCO’s communications and resource mobilization activities
Knowledge Management :
- Ensure that organizational systems are updated and populated frequently including the internal Partnerships Unit Google Drive
- When needed, provide regular reports on business acquisition pipeline to the Country Manager, North Africa and the Partnerships Specialist
- When needed, take minutes at internal and/or external meetings, providing action points for follow-up
- Liaise with the Communications and Partnerships colleagues in Headquarters as well as project communication focal points as necessary
Business intelligence :
- Conduct analysis and mapping of donor priorities, areas of focus and geographical priorities as well as national country strategies
- Prepare business/market analysis reports for major donors and countries in the region to support the development of new engagements opportunities
- Research events, publications and announcements, to track and screen opportunities for possible UNOPS interventions and identify trends that will drive partnership opportunities
Partnerships and Project development :
- Support the SNMCO’s efforts in liaising with potential donors, funding partners, agencies and institutions
- Participate in meetings with potential partners and ensure their systematic and timely follow-up
- Support in the development of project-related documents including project descriptions, budgets, legal accords, risk registers and gender action plans
- Liaise with AFR Regional Office and Headquarters as needed to assure clearances are obtained in order to finalize engagements and move to implementation of projects
- Perform other related duties as required.
2. Functional Competencies
Researching, writing and editing content that is clear, concise and effectively conveys key messages to target audiences
Detail focused and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment
Knowledge of software packages for publication such as Adobe Creative Suite – especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro or other relevant products commonly used
To be eligible the applicants must be pursuing a university degree such as a Bachelors, Masters or a PhD in Political Science, International Relations, Development Studies, Project Management, Communications, Business Administration, Marketing or other relevant areas or be a recent graduate from such studies (within the last 3 years).
While no prior work experience is required,some professional experience is highly desirable either in the private or public sector, in areas such as :
- Social media and/or communications experience
- digital media, visual communications and interactive storytelling
- Project Management
- Proposal and project development
- data analysis
- Partnership Development
- Resource Mobilization
Basic knowledge of design and/or video editing experience with software programs (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, etc.) is preferred. Knowledge of G Suite is an asset but not required.
Fluency in French and English (written and spoken) is required.
Contract type, level and duration – Internship
Contract type : Internship Contract level : N/A Contract duration : 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lump sum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Internships-and-volunteering.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How to apply