Jobs & traineeships in EU institutions

The EU employs permanent staff (civil servants), contract staff and temporary staff, and offers traineeships (internships). It maintains databases of experts in relevant fields.

permanent staff

Permanent staff (civil servants) are classified either as administrators (AD) or as assistants (AST).

Administrators are typically involved in drafting policies, monitoring the implementation of EU law, conducting analyzes and advising on specific fields. In general, to apply for an administrator competition, you must be a graduate and have successfully completed at least three years of university study.

Assistants, who usually work in supporting roles, are crucial for the internal management of the institutions. In general, to apply for an assistant competition, you must have successfully completed at least secondary school.

contract staff

Contract staff are hired for specific manual or administrative tasks. Contracts are generally for a limited period – usually starting with 6-12 months.

temporary staff

Temporary staff are recruited on contracts of up to 6 years, for specialized or temporary tasks.

Trainees (internal)

Each year, around 1,900 young graduates have the opportunity to take part in the EU trainee (internal) programmes. Most EU institutions offer internships lasting between 3 and 5 months.

Second national experts

Seconded national experts are national or international civil servants or public sector employees working temporarily for an EU institution. Contact your country’s permanent representation to the EU for information about current opportunities.

interim work

Some institutions also take on local interim staff for up to 6 months, mainly for secretarial work. Contact local temping agencies for information about recruitment.

Freelance interpreters

The European Parliament, the European Commission and the Court of Justice of the European Union each have their own interpretation service, but there is a joint selection process for freelance interpreters. To become a freelance interpreter, you need to pass an accreditation test.


Besides translators, the EU institutions also need terminologists, language technology specialists, lawyer-linguists, editors, proofreaders and intercultural and language experts.

EU experts

The EU institutions appoint external experts to help evaluate grant applications, projects and tenders, and to provide opinions and advice in specific cases. The EU maintains databases with the names and qualifications of independent experts who can assist the institutions and agencies in specific areas.

European Parliament political groups

To find a job in a political group, contact one of the political parties represented in the European Parliament. These posts are not administered by the EU institutions.

Leave a Comment